- This event has passed.
University of Cape Town Course :: Muslim Marriage Contracts
June 25 - June 26
This two-day course will unpack the legal implications of the Muslim marriage contract by considering:
- A brief historical context relating to the non-recognition of Muslim marriages in South Africa
- A synopsis of the legal implications of the non-recognition of Muslim marriages in South Africa
- An analysis of South African case law that recognises the Muslim marriage as a contract and its legal implications
- The significance of imams being registered as marriage officers under the Marriage Act 25 of 1961
- The way in which Muslim marriage contracts can be drafted as ante-nuptial contracts in a way that is consistent with Islamic law and South African civil law.
The course will include a component that will provide attendees an opportunity to practice drafting a Muslim marriage contract.