Call for Applications: Autumn School: Uses of the Past in Islamic Legal Thought and Practice
We are inviting advanced doctoral students and early career researchers in the area of Islamic legal studies, to apply to participate in the USPPIP Autumn School. USPPIP is a collaborative project of the universities of Exeter, Bergen, Göttingen, and Leiden. The project (running from 2016 to 2018) aims to explore how the past is employed in Islamic legal thought and practice with a focus on the areas of violence, the state, gender and custom. The aims of the Autumn School are for the participants to:
1. Share research findings in Islamic law and gain feedback from the peers and the USPPIP project team, preparing that research for publication.
2. Contribute to the research agenda of the USPPIP project through discussions and translations of original source material not currently available in English.
3. Network with an international group of scholars and explore new avenues for future research in Islamic legal studies.
4. Develop an understanding of the various uses of the past in the Islamic legal tradition.
Proposals dealing with custom and Islamic law, the focus of the USPPIP Leiden research team are particularly encouraged. Autumn School activities will include:
1. The presentation and discussion of a pre‐distributed piece of research writing(maximum 10,000 words) from each participant.
2. The development of a translation (with introduction and/or commentary) of original source material, previously unavailable in English which informs our study of the “uses of the past” in Islamic law (maximum 3000 words in English).
Participants will arrive in Leiden by the evening of Nov 11 and leave on the morning of Nov 17. Intensive sessions will take place Monday to Friday and will include private study time, collaborative work and occasional recreational outings exploring the environs of Leiden. It is essential that participants commit to attending the whole week of the Autumn School.
Six fully-funded places are available on the Autumn School. Funding will include travel to and from Leiden, accommodation and subsistence whilst in Leiden. The Autumn School sessions will take place in the University Library, Leiden. Participants will include members of the USPPIP team (drawn from the universities of Bergen, Exeter, Gottingen and Leiden), invited scholars and members of the Leiden University community.
The deadline for applications is midnight (UK time) Sep 5. We intend to notify successful applicants before Sep 12.
Please see website below for application instructions.